Saturday, March 29, 2008

Not alone...


So last week, Nick and I attended a formal reception aboard the HCMS Juan Sebastion Elcano--an old Spanish Naval Training Ship that was in town for a few days. Nick introduced me to the captain of his ship who has Type II diabetes. For some reason I had pictured him as this out-of-shape middle age guy, but he was not. I had thrown the stereotypes of a Type II diabetic upon him, even though I myself hate those stereotypes. I still constantly internally struggle with a sense of guilt--that I am at fault because it's Type II. To my surprise, his captain was not only quite fit, but was diagnosed in his early twenties like me. We're a rare breed, so it was nice to find someone with whom to commensurate.

On a non-diabetes note, the rest of the evening went really well. It was quite fun and I got to meet all of Nick's shipmates. To my surprise, Nick invited me to come to Austin with him in June for a family wedding. So all in all, I had a great evening!



No comments: