Sunday, March 16, 2008

Foot Ulcers and Ugly Reminders...


So at work on Friday there was a patient in the ER with a diabetic foot ulcer...it's the kind of horrifying thing I prefer to sometimes stay in denial about, but on Friday it was exactly what I needed to see.

Over the last few weeks I've let my carbohydrate intake whirlwind out of control (and my exercise routine for that matter...). It starts with a glass of wine over dinner, a single french fry there, a nibble of chocolate here, a yummy chocolate desert over a romantic date (yes, romance has a way of causing you to shut off your brain sometimes)...and pretty soon my weekly blood glucose average has jumped from 125 to 140....all in all, really not good since I am trying to get my A1C to below 6%.

So, the ugly thought of having my feet amputated when I am 60-years-old totally freaked me out and threw me back on track again. Uk...even now this picture gives me the shivers and I don't usually have a weak stomach...

No comments: